All consumers will participate in a workshop training session that will introduce the concept of consumers in research and what they can expect when they participate in our program.
This will be a half day session for all consumers where they will receive:
- An induction/run-down into the program
- Meet and greet morning tea
- Training Workshop session
Induction and Meet and Greet
A morning tea will be held for consumers to meet other peers, researchers who are participating in the program and students. This will be a great opportunity for consumers to see what scientists and researchers are like, break down any misconceptions about research and familiarise themselves with the research leads.
The topics to be covered in this session include:
- The role of a consumer and what expectations are
- Definitions, terminology
- Medical research: how does it work?
- What does research look like?
- Consumers in medical research
- Effective consumer representation
- Participating in committees and focus working groups
- Consumer support
How-to guides and step by step instructions will be made available on the OPUS Consumers website. These guides will inform consumers if they require extra support to fulfill their duties. These guides will be developed in consultation with research groups to ensure that the requested tasks are not outside of the consumers’ abilities.